Oh boy, it’s a Po’ Boy! Yeah, we had to say it! Anyway, let’s get this party going, shall we? This is a great recipe for a quick snack or even a full meal! If you like things deep-dried, this recipe is for you! If you’re more a raw oyster kind of person, browse other recipes on the bottom of this page, we’re sure you’ll find something fitting! For now – let’s fry up some Po’ Boys!
- 32 ounces shucked oysters
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (recommended: Indian Head)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Four 6-inch hoagie loaves
- Remoulade Sauce, recipe follows
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1 to 2 lemons
Spicy Remoulade Sauce:
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup stone-ground mustard
- 1 clove garlic clove, smashed
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (we used Frank’s Red Hot here, buy you’re free to choose your favorite one here)
Please notice! You will need some special equipment for this recipe:
Brown paper bag (yes, it’s so special) and a food processor.
- Drain the oysters and place in a small bowl. Cover with 1 cup milk and let soak for 15 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining milk, water, cayenne and eggs. Place the flour, cornmeal, black pepper, and salt into a brown paper bag, close and shake to mix.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, pour enough oil to fill the pan halfway. Heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 360 degrees F.
- Drain the oysters from the milk. In batches dip oysters in the egg mixture then drop in the paper bag. Close and shake. Remove to a plate and repeat with the rest of the oysters. When oil is at 360 degrees F, fry oysters in batches. Do not overcrowd. Cook turning once until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove to a paper towel. Repeat with remaining oysters.
- To serve, cut sandwich loaves in half horizontally. Slather a generous amount of Spicy Remoulade Sauce on the inside. Place a lettuce leaf inside and fill generously with oysters. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over oysters just before serving.
As for the Spicy Remoulade sauce:
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Chill until ready to serve.
Are you ready to fix some oyster sandwiches? If so, this is the recipe you’ve been looking for! Next time we’ll cook something with less calories, we promise! Remember that our oysters are also delicious RAW! You don’t need to cook anything to enjoy the salty sweet taste. It’s a taste you’ll fall in love with from the first slurp! Buy delicious Williams Wharf oysters online here. We have FREE FedEx overnight delivery on all orders, and you can even schedule your delivery date – so go get them!
There are many ways to cook Po’ Boys. Have a special recipe that includes oysters? Share it with us!
Learn More Recipes & Pairing Suggestions