Time has come to spice things up a bit! Today, we’ll be cooking up some Thai Oysters with Cucumber. It’s another recipe that will make oysters taste even more fresh and crisp while bringing in a little spice to add some excitement! What do you think? Let’s get started!
Here’s what we’ll need:
- 24 shucked oysters
For the Granita
- 2 Lebanese cucumber or 1 continental/English cucumber
- 1 tsp salt
- juice 1 lime
- zest of lime
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
For the Thai Dressing
- 60 ml /1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup grated palm sugar or raw sugar
- 3 red chillies
- 1/2 garlic clove
Now that you have everything ready, let’s cut some cucumbers!
- Start by making the granita.
- Grate the cucumbers and place them in a colander over a bowl. Sprinkle over the salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the cucumbers to release any extra moisture and then discard the flesh.
- Add the lime juice, lime zest, water and chopped coriander to the cucumber juice.
- Taste the mixture. It should be sour and salty.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow plastic container and put in the freezer.
- Allow to freeze for an hour and then use a fork to scrape the semi frozen liquid away from the edges.
- Stir and scrape the granita at 30-minute intervals until it is light and granular.
- Once it is ready it should be easy to spoon and scoop.
- Keep frozen until needed
- To make the dressing. Gently heat the rice wine vinegar until you can only just hold your finger in it.
- Add the grated palm sugar.
- Finely chop the chili (leaving the seeds in is optional – I don’t) and the garlic
- Add them to the vinegar mixture and pour into a small bowl to cool.
- Serve the oysters on a bed of salt or ice with the two dressings on the side.
We know that this is quite a complex recipe with many ingredients and a long list of instructions, but you know what? It’s so worth it! We think that this is one of the best recipes on our website yet! Oh, you have something better that that? That’s great! Send your awesome recipe to us and we’d be more than happy to post it! Meanwhile, why don’t you order a box of our super fresh oysters and try a recipe or two from our site? We have free oyster shipping and you can even schedule your deliver date so we’ve got you covered!
We are looking for oyster recipes! Have one that we haven’t posted yet? Send it to us an Facebook and we’ll publish it!
Learn More Recipes & Pairing Suggestions